Philip Marshall was an English cathedral organist and composer. Marshall was born in Brighouse, Yorkshire. He served in the Royal Army Service Corps during World War II and was elected a fellow of the Royal College of Organists in 1946.
He was the organist at St Botolph’s Church, Boston (1951–1957), Ripon Cathedral (1957–1966) and Lincoln Cathedral (1966–1986). At Ripon, he created the cathedral choir school. His compositions included liturgical works, vocal compositions and instrumental works including a Concerto for Piano and Orchestra.
He was awarded the BMus and DMus degrees through examination at Durham University, in the years 1950 and 1955 respectively.
Photo credit: Nick Philp.